Each year the University may award scholarships known as the ANU Love Scholarships ("the Scholarship"). One scholarship, the Love Scholarship for Physics is offered to a student who is studying Science, and intends to do a Physics major, within RSPE. The other two scholarship on offer are open to all prospective ANU students.
The Love Scholarships offer a helping hand to students who have faced life circumstances that pose a serious and sustained challenge to their ability to participate in university studies. The Love Scholarships are a flagship scholarship program at ANU, promoting and supporting equity and diversity at the University.
The objective of the scholarship is to strengthen educational outcomes for students both in terms of skills development and preparation for further study or employment, improved equity access figures for the University, and raised awareness of the acute disadvantages that some students face in accessing university education.
The Love Scholarships program was generously established by Professor John Love in 2014. The Love Scholarship for Physics is funded by the Research School for Physics and Engineering (RSPE) and runs in parallel with the Love Scholarships.
The Scholarship shall be available for award each year to a new ANU student who:
- is an Australian citizen or holds an Australian permanent humanitarian visa; andis a current school leaver; and
- achieves an ATAR of 95 or higher - including any Educational Access Scheme (EAS) bonus points; and
- is eligible for EAS bonus points; and
- demonstrates, through a supporting statement, the circumstances that they have faced could pose a serious and sustained challenge to their ability to participate at University and how the scholarship would enable them to pursue their tertiary education and take advantage of their studies to enable them to reach their full potential.
The scholarship is valued at up to $50,000 over up to 5 years. The scholarship will be paid as per the schedule below:
- YEAR VALUE
- Year 1 $15,000
- Year 2 $12,500
- Year 3 $10,000
- Year 4 $7,500
- Year 5 $5,000
How to apply
Applications for 2019 should be made via the University Admissions Centre (UAC) by 28th November 2018. The link to the UAC Equity portal is available by clicking on the "Apply Now" button at the top of this page.
The application shall also consist of a:
- Supporting Statement - by the scholar of no more than 500 words which addresses;
- commitment and level of investment to their chosen field of study
- contribution to society and/or volunteer experience (accompanying newspaper clippings or evidence of volunteering can be attached)
- how the scholarship would enable them to take advantage of their studies to enable them to reach their full potential.
- Character Reference - provided by the School principal or teacher, or by another appropriate representative. The character reference should include notes on the resilience, commitment and ethics of the applicant.
The Supporting Statement and Character Reference shall be submitted to ANU Access and Inclusion via email email@example.com prior to the scholarship closing date.