The scholarship is awarded by ANU and the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation to undergraduate students who are undertaking up to two semesters of overseas study at a leading Asian University.
This scholarship was established by the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation as part of Westpac's 200th anniversary celebrations, which will be officially commemorated in 2017.
The scholarship is awarded by ANU and the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation to undergraduate students who are undertaking up to two semesters of overseas study at a leading Asian University. This is an experiential program, with the opportunity to 'pitch your own adventure' by building in activities to enhance the exchange experience outside the classroom, such as an internship, work experience, volunteering or an intensive language course.
Field of Study and Characteristics of the Scholars
Scholarships are open to students from a wide range of fields of study. The program is looking for scholars who have the passion, ideas and drive to be an advocate for Australia's relationship with Asia. Westpac Asian Exchange Scholars will demonstrate the following:
- A clear understanding of Asia's role in Australia's future prosperity;
- A desire to learn about a specific Asian culture, language, tradition or business through a combination of academic study and cultural immersion;
- The potential and ambition to contribute to strengthening Australia-Asia in their future endeavours; and
- A genuine desire to be an active member of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network.
Scholarship applicants must :
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (New Zealand citizens who are not also Australian citizens are not eligible to apply);
- Be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program at ANU and have completed a minimum of 48 units of your undergraduate (single or double) degree.
- Be enrolled in second year or beyond when commencing their exchange
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0
- Not hold or intend to hold another merit based scholarship for the purpose of tertiary study in Asia.
- Be eligible for or have received approval to undertake a semester long exchange program at one of the following eleven institutions:
- Beijing: Tsinghua University, Peking University, Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Shanghai: Fudan University and Shanghai Jiaotong University.
- Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong, Chinese University of Hong Kong, City University of Hong Kong.
- Singapore: National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore Management University.
The Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship provides the following benefits:
- Build your own adventure with the freedom and flexibility to individualise your exchange and enhance your experience.
- A 10-month bespoke Leadership Development Program. This will further develop your key employability skills for a globalised world.
- Attend a four day intensive learning experience in an Asian city to allow you to deeply immerse yourself in an issue prevalent to the Asian region, with access to senior leaders and subject matter experts.
- Become a member of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network, growing by 100 scholars each year, forever.
- Attend the Westpac Scholars' Summit, an annual event that brings together Westpac Scholars from across all five scholarship programs.
- When arriving in your host city, attend a Westpac Welcome Event and meet those in the local office and your Westpac Buddies.
$2,500 of the $12,000 value of the scholarship contributes to a four day leadership development program and will not be paid directly to the student.
How to apply
Applications are now open for Semester 2, 2019 and will close in December. See the Westpac website (below) for details of application dates.
Students who wish to apply, 1) need to start an application for both Westpac for the Asian Exchange scholarship and 2) to ANU Global Programs for your 2019 Semester Two exchange application.
For Westpac scholarship - please apply online directly to Westpac.
For ANU Global Programs - please apply online to Global Programs for exchange.
Please refer to the Westpac website for details of application dates, scholarship guidelines and eligibility: westpac.com.au/200years.
Once applications close, the Australian National University will provide a shortlist to the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation. Then shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a video interview. The Westpac Bicentennial Foundation will convene selection panels to determine successful candidates.
Students who have applied for the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship will be notified by late February 2019 of the outcome of their application.
Scholarship recipients are expected to actively engage as an Alumni member of the program, which includes a commitment, at least for the first 12 months after the scholarship, to actively share your experience, attend alumni events and promote the scholarship within ANU. Recipients are also expected to complete an in-depth report of your scholarship experience to be submitted to the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation.
If you have any enquiries please contact ANU Global Programs.