The Bachelor of Oral Health will prepare you for a rewarding career as an oral health therapist.
The Bachelor of Oral Health will prepare you for a rewarding career as an oral health therapist. You will gain the required knowledge, clinical skills and experience to deliver therapeutic dental hygiene and restorative treatment services for patients of all ages, and oral health education and promotion to patients and communities throughout Australia and New Zealand.
The Bachelor of Oral Health is a full-time, five day a-week course taught over three years.
Why study oral health with us?
- Clinical experience – during your three years, you’ll participate in clinical placements offered at the Westmead Centre for Oral Health, Sydney Dental Hospital, Nepean Dental Health Clinic and other Local Health District dental hospitals.
- Facilities – you’ll have access to the latest technology, facilities and teaching laboratories. From your first week, you’ll spend time in the simulation clinic, becoming familiar with the anatomy of the oral cavity, the instruments and patient positioning. In second semester, you’ll get the opportunity to look into one another's mouths and, by the second year, will be treating patients in public dental health clinics.
- World-class teachers – you’ll learn from internationally-renowned dental professionals, who are some of the most highly respected academics in Australia and the world.
- Rural or regional placement – giving you a broader insight into oral health in the community.
- Qualification – the Bachelor of Oral Health is fully accredited by the Australian Dental Council. Our graduates are eligible for registration with the Dental Board of Australia and are licensed with the Environmental Protection Authority to use diagnostic radiation. Upon registration, you will be able to practise as an oral health therapist, providing preventive, dental hygiene and restorative treatment services to patients of all ages across the public and private sectors throughout Australia and New Zealand.
Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP): $10,958 per year full-time, $32,874 total course cost
International Students: $46,500 per year full-time
3 years full time,
Graduates of Dentistry undergraduate courses at University of Sydney (USYD) rated their degrees as follows:
Teaching quality: 78.1% (national average 61.4%)
Improved skills: 96.9% (national average 82.8%)
Overall satisfaction: 90.6% (national average 78.0%)
The ratings above refer to the proportion of surveyed graduates who agreed with the statement about their undergraduate degree from University of Sydney (USYD). You can find out more about these results here.
Graduates of Dentistry undergraduate courses at University of Sydney (USYD) had the following employment outcomes:
Employed full time: 73.9% (national average 85.3%)
Studying full time: 5.8% (national average 16.1%)
Median full time salary: $78,300 (national average $80,000)
You can find out more about employment outcome results here.
CRICOS Code: 072495J
University of Sydney (USYD) Code: BUORAHEA1000
Admission to this course is on the basis of the following criteria: